Below are commonly asked questions that we thought would help keep students informed and up-to-date about life at UTSC and beyond.



Academic Involvement

What is WebOption? Is it available for every class?

WebOption allows you to watch recorded lectures online after the class has happened, allowing for some flexibility in case emergencies come up and classes cannot be attended. However, it is not a reason to skip class, as material is typically hard to catch up on once you have fallen behind.

WebOption is typically reserved for larger classes only; many smaller classes will require you to physically attend. For a complete list of classes with Weboption, see

What are the Pros and Cons of taking online courses?

Online courses are courses that do not require you to go to the University of Toronto Scarborough to attend a lecture or tutorial. All the lectures are posted online for you to watch and take notes. Having an online course can be helpful in the sense that it will save a lot of time for commuters as well as the ability to watch the lecture and pause it anytime you wish.

It is also beneficial as you can watch these lectures anytime. However, if any questions arise when watching the lecture, the fastest way to contact the professor is through e-mail which may not be as convenient as asking the professor right away. Exams and midterms will still be held at the University of Toronto Scarborough.

Where can we buy textbooks? And are they needed for every class?

The U of T Bookstore is conveniently located in the Academic Resource Centre on the 3rd floor and carries all textbooks and course materials required for your courses. Usually, the bookstore is extremely busy during the first few weeks of school so if you can get your books early on, you’ll be able to beat the long line ups!

Information about textbook requirements is usually on the website of the Bookstore and in the course outlines. However, it is best to check directly with the professor about textbooks, as they are the most reliable source.

Is there enough transition time to have a lecture ending at the same time another one starts?

There is definitely enough time to have lectures back to back, (having one end the same time another starts) on your timetable. Professors usually allot 5-10 minutes to have all the students fill into the classroom and to settle down and get ready. If your lectures are within the vicinity of your previous lecture, you will have more than enough time to transition from one class to another.

Can I take some courses on another University of Toronto Campus?

As a student at the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus, you are allowed to take up to 5.0 credits, equivalent to 10 courses, in other undergraduate arts and science divisions of the University of Toronto. No more than 1.0 credit of a student’s first 4.0 full credits as a University of Toronto Scarborough student may be taken on another campus.

If you plan on taking a “required” course course for your program at another campus, you must discuss this with your program supervisor to ensure it is an equivalent course. Complete a Program Exception form and submit this to the Registrar’s Office. More info on this can be found on the website here:

How many courses should we take each semester and how many courses is a full course load?

Most courses at UTSC are half credit courses, meaning they count for 0.5 credits. 2.5 credits is a regular full time course load equivalent to 5 courses. A standard course load is 2.5 credits per semester. Taking more than 2.5 credits per semester is not recommended unless you are a strong student academically with minimal non-academic commitments.

More information can be found here:

How do I find the required coursed for my program?

To find the required courses for your program, you can go to the website here: and find the program you are currently enrolled in. Clicking on the program will show you all the program requirements alongside course code and name. Clicking on the course will give you a brief overview of the course alongside any prerequisites this course may have.

When should I drop a Course? How do I drop a course?

When you should drop a course is discretionary. Possible factors to account for is the effect a course may have on your cGPA, whether you are performing at the level you want to be, and the percentage of the course that is remaining.

In order to drop a course, all you have to do is to go on ROSI, click on Course Enrollment found on the side, click list courses and there should be an option there that says “Drop Course” and clicking on this option will subsequently remove you from the course. Remember to be wary of Academic deadlines and Financial deadlines which can be found here:

Is it possible to get into the Co-op Management program from the Management and Pre-Management program?

Yes it is! The GPA requirement has been between 3.2 and 3.5 in the past, with extracurricular, volunteer and job experience taken into consideration. There is also an interview process due to the typically large application pool. Just work hard and be prepared – it will happen!

How do I apply to the Co-op program after being in the Pre-management/Management program in first year?

If you are applying to the co-op program after being in the pre-management/management program in first year, your cover letter and resume and CGPA will be evaluated. You must first request the management co-op Subject Post on ROSI and submit your University of Toronto student number with your cover letter and resume to the Co-op office (IC 150) by the specified deadline.

More information can be found here: for the deadline.

How does the GPA system work and what marks do I need to stay in my program?

Your GPA can determine your scholarships, ability to enroll in more classes, and even your chance at going to graduate school. Your final mark in each class is out of 4.0, with each grade point value corresponding to a percentage range. A sessional GPA is the average of all the courses you took in one school term and a cumulative GPA is the average of all courses you have ever taken.

While the requirements are different for every program, in order to remain enrolled in Management, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher after 4 full credits. Students that fail to meet these requirements will be put on academic probation. For more information, refer to the Calendar or visit the Academic Advising & Career Centre. As for the Co-op Management program, important GPA and course requirements must be met to be eligible to go on work term. Full details can be found at

What is the Co-op work term course? Are there marks for this course?

The co-op work term prep course (WTPC) is a course designed to help prepare students for the challenges of seeking and securing a job and successfully completing co-op work terms. Some course topics include networking, cover letter and resume preparation, interviewing skills, personal branding and workplace skill development just to name a few.

More information about this course can be found on this website: about the course. There are no marks for this course. However, there is a mandatory attendance policy and failure to adhere to this policy may result in having to repeat the course again.


Campus Involvement

What are some ways students can be involved with MESA?

Students looking to be involved with MESA and its operations/programs should make sure to stay in the loop via social media. Course announcements, posters and booths are also good ways to hear about upcoming opportunities. Representing Management and Economics students, MESA strives to emulate the operations of a business by using hiring processes to fill positions such as MESA Associates, MVP Mentors, LIVE and MESA Executives.

MESA also hosts various events throughout the year and all students are encouraged to participate. Information about these will be released as they come on the MESA website and social media groups.

What are some ways I can make some money on campus?

UTSC offers a host of job opportunities on campus for students looking to make some extra dollars. Some good places to look are the Library, Bookstore and Athletics & Recreation Centre. Also, there are usually many academic postings for Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant and Invigilator positions. For more information, check out the Career Learning Network ( and the Academic Advising & Career Centre.

Also, the Financial Aid and Awards office provides many ways to fund your education. They also provide assistance with OSAP’s 30% tuition grant, scholarships, bursaries, emergency loans, money management tips and more. Visit for more information.


Academic, Financial & Administrative Resources

I sometimes struggle with my writing and/or math. Where can I get help?

UTSC offers a vast array of academic resources at your disposal. The Writing Centre (located in AC 210) allows for one-on-one appointments with an advisor to gain feedback and tips on writing assignments. They also offer free seminars on editing essays, lab reports, grammar and more. Visit:

The Math and Statistics Centre and Math Aid Centre (AC 312 and IC 404 respectively) aim to improve students’ proficiency in mathematics. Tutors are available all year round to help students of all disciplines. For more information and tutor hours, check out

Where is the Academic Advising & Career Centre? What are some of the services it offers?

The Academic Advising & Career Centre (AA&CC) is located in AC 213. It aims to integrate developmental advising, learning skills, career counseling and employment coaching through individual appointments, workshops, experiential programming, events and a range of online resources. Some of these include the Get Started program, one-on-one career counseling appointments, and various workshops.

For contact information and hours, please check

Where can I keep track of program requirements and important academic dates?

The Calendar is the go to document for sorting out program requirements, course availability important academic dates.

Calendar –
Course Timetable –
Sessional Dates –

Where do we get our TCards (Library Cards) and where can we get replacements if we lose them?

TCards are typically received during Get Started. However, if you missed it you can get it at the Registrar’s Office located in AA 142. In the case of misplacement, report to any U of T library immediately.

Replacements can be obtained at the TCard Office (BV 481 until August 31) for a $12.00 cash fee. You will also need to bring government issued photo identification with you. For more information, visit

Are there study spaces in the IC building? What about elsewhere on campus?

There are both individual study spaces and group study rooms in the IC building, as well as the Finance Lab. There are also various study carrels and group study rooms throughout campus as well (some of these group study rooms can be booked).

For a complete list of study spaces and their availabilities, check out @UTSCStudy is also a great Twitter account that updates students on available study spaces across campus.

What is the Finance Lab and who is allowed to use it?

The Finance Lab is open to all students interested in finance and its real world applications. Several Finance Lab Assistants as well as Finance Librarian Stephanie Perpick are on hand to help several hours a day.

To check the schedule for the Finance Lab and to learn more, visit

How do you get a locker on campus?

The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) provides locker rental services. For the rental prices per session, refer to for the most up to date prices. Towel and locker services are also offered by the Athletics & Recreation Centre.

Can I opt out of the Dental and Health plans if I am already covered by my own insurance?

Yes you can. When ROSI bills you for the dental and health plan, you can opt out of these plans during the Change of the Coverage Period from September 1 – September 30 . For opting out of the health plan, you must be able to provide proof of coverage by an equivalent health plan. For dental plans, you do not need to submit proof of equivalent coverage.

A cheque will be mailed to you for the amount of the health and dental portions if you choose to opt out. More information can be found on for any other questions regarding the plans.

Where do I find the exact day classes begin and other important days throughout the year?

By going to the website here: you can figure out all the important registration, deadlines dates and any other important academic dates that you may need.

Where should I look to pursue further business administration studies? / What are some ways to finance my education?

For those who are interested in pursuing a career in business management, Best Colleges has published an investigative review of the best online masters in business administration programs available in the US.

Along with their findings, they have included valuable resources and guides for students such as financial aid and scholarship information that students can leverage to help finance their education.

Their excellent resource is posted here.